Lutheran Congregations – Seminarians – Pastors – Institutions
Back in 1923 the North Carolina Lutheran Men met and created a fund to help finance new Lutheran Churches. Ten faithful men pledged to give $100 per year for ten years to provide a revolving loan fund. They also set a goal to raise $100,000 by soliciting donations from Lutheran men across the State. The fund continued to grow and in 1953 the Home Mission Foundation was incorporated to manage and administer this precious resource. This history is detailed in our Living Vessels book. Please stop by our display table for a FREE copy.
Over the years through donations, small and large, including several substantial legacy gifts and investment growth, the various funds under management as of the end 2021 totaled $4,980,771.
Legacy gifts to the Foundation include:
- The Mary Ona Wolf Scholarship Fund – Supporting ELCA seminary students from North and South Carolina.
- The Rev. M. L Ridenhour Family Fund – an unrestricted fund to be used at the discretion of the Board.
- The Rev. Harold E. Rhoads Fund – Supporting ELCA seminary students and the Home Mission Foundation operating budget.
- The Rev. Harold E. Rhoads Trust – Supporting ELCA seminary students and the Home Mission Foundation operating budget.
These funds are used in several ways:
- To make low interest loans directly to congregations. As of 12/31/2021 we had $754,638 loaned out to six NC Lutheran congregations.
- For scholarships to Seminary Students in Columbia, SC. In December 2021 we mailed out checks totaling $123,546 to students from North and South Carolina.
- We provided $30,000 in support of the North Carolina Lutheran Men organization.
- For grants for various institutions and endeavors. In 2021 we made a grant of $10,000 to support the NC Synod Lifeline Fund which supports rostered leaders burdened with educational debt and enhances congregational stewardship.
- Our newest fund, the Lutheran Grace Fund made its first grant of $1,000 in 2021 to help build a Lutheran Preschool Playground. This fund is unrestricted.
We thank you for all that you do to further God’s kingdom!
Should you have questions regarding: a loan for your Church, a potential grant, requesting a FREE copy of Living Vessels OR how to make a legacy gift OR a donation to the Home Mission Foundation, please contact:
Thank you for your continuing support!